Friday, July 24, 2020

Prison, pots and food

Under Jasper's Protection
Sometimes it feels like we're prisoners here. A nice prison, but it feels like we are trapped. Here's how lovely it is. . . .Jasper's ears from the treehouse. This has become our evening ritual. We take wine (or wine diluted with sparkling water) to the deck with smackerals and compare our days. Jasper sits watch. Or rather, lays down and watches. He is quite vigilant.

I looked at another house today. It is lower maintenance than this one, an easy bike ride or walk to parks. Here's the thing. It doesn't have a treehouse. And it already has 4 bids on it. There isn't even a "For Sale" sign outside yet. That's how the housing market is in Boise.

So we're stuck in this dump. (That's a joke).

Under the Scot's Pine's Protection
So this is what the view looks like, if we look up. Oh, Sure. We can see the sunset should we desire. But it is this pine and it's shade (and dropped needles and pinecones) that protect us from the Western Sun and allow us to sit in the treehouse at 6 in the evening.
Squat White Pot
But. I should also mention pots. I have made a couple that don't embarrass me in the past couple of weeks. Both hand-built. (I need to get back to the wheel, don't I?) But I love these forms. What I don't love is glazing, so I've sort of given up (for now), and am sticking with Matt White, cone 5.

Then, there are the bud vases. The one shown is one that was larger than I meant it to be. . . sort of between a bud vase and a massive one. But still. It's a good size for certain things, including the flowering species I have at hand just now. July.  The woman who planned this garden was so adept. Something is flowering, beautifully, from mid-January through a hard frost.
Larger than planned vase

detail from larger-than-planned vase

My horticulture interests have always been dominated by food crops. My thought process is that food plants (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes, basil) are also beautiful so why bother with all of this flower stuff? But I have been tutored in this by the previous owner of the house. While I miss (terribly) my food crops, I can't help but appreciate the fact that there is no time when I can't gather a satisfying bunch of flowers. . . .highly varied. . .in this yard.

What to do with the first dribble of tomatoes
So. Now let's talk Food. We have tomatoes dribbling in. We've only had a half dozen or so, to date, and the basil is taking it's sweet time too. Still. I have to tell you that the little salad pictured (tomatoes, a firm-ripe avocado, and a dusting of salt and pepper) is one of the best things I have EVER tasted. Oh. My. Goodness. It was so delicious. Served with a pizza on the grill.

Some prison, eh? It's hard to stop the angst. I voice my gratitude (aloud and to myself or Jasper) constantly, and yet still, it's hard to not feel imprisoned. Some Prison. Next time we can talk about the zucchini.








No comments:

Post a Comment

A flurry

Narrow serving plate, 12" We're in the last few weeks of prepping for John's retirement. It's a very exciting time, but suc...