Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Moving forward on fiber

 

The yarn after washing and winding. 2 ply left; 3 ply right

Well. After wringing my hands about cleaning this fleece, I've gotten a sample spun, plied and washed. The spinning makes a single, the plying is spinning 2 or 3 singles together to make what looks like a pretty familiar yarn to anyone. Unless you're a spinner, the single will not impress. 

Typically, one spins extra twist into the single, and then plies in the opposite direction, resulting in a yarn that doesn't try to twist in any direction. It's neutral. It just sits there. So there are a lot of good reasons for plying, in spite of the fact that it's 2-3 times as much spinning!

My Ashford Traveler wheel

The yarn above is pretty typical of the yarn I like to spin. I can make it more even, but I like the handmade something-something of the slightly uneven yarn. The larger ball on the left is 2 ply (a little heavier than sport weight), the one on the left is 3 ply (made via a technique called Navajo plying), and it's thicker. . .worsted weight. I'll need to knit both of them into swatches, then put them against my skin. The yarn does feel remarkably soft to my hand.

 

Singles being plied

 

I have to say that I am very impressed with the softness of this yarn. Jasper's fur contributed to it's softness, I think, but the wool itself is also quite fine. This presents a problem, since it will be harder to say "no" to cleaning ALL OF IT. Oh dear.

 

2 ply yarn on the spindle

No comments:

Post a Comment

A flurry

Narrow serving plate, 12" We're in the last few weeks of prepping for John's retirement. It's a very exciting time, but suc...