Saturday, September 19, 2020

Blue skies. . .nothin' but. . .

The sky at Saturday Dinner
Well. Ok. That's a bit of a lie. There are lots of skies that aren't blue, but we got a break today in the air quality. As we had dinner on the patio, this is what I saw. And just this evening, the Air Quality Index went into the "good" range. . .42. This is very good. It's not likely to last, but still. Now is now.

A haunted hike: yesterday

 

 

 

I was walking Jasper on Friday, and the only word I could think of for the atmosphere was "haunted". Jasper doesn't seem to mind beyond my distress (which I try to hide), but eventually the sore throat and accompanying raspy voice and the watering eyes are hard to ignore. The other "haunted" aspect is that the trails are uncharacteristic unpopulated. I would normally be pretty pleased with this, but it's only because most folks have better sense then to hike outdoors when there is a health risk involved with breathing.




The garden is noticeably slowing down. I think the plants key onto the shortening days. . .especially the tomatoes, who like heat and light so much. I picked a couple that had barely broken from green to red just because I felt like I should have something to show. I also picked the eggplant that has just been sitting there waiting for something to happen. Kentucky wonder green beans continue to give me 8-12 a harvest, which showed up on the dinner table tonight, along with a Heritage Tomato pie. A quiche, if you're French, but of course these are good old Early Girls, not heritage tomatoes, which have too long of a growing season to work for us. I stand by my Early Girls, though. They are super delicious, always. Smallish, but that's ok. Size matters not. 

Wool processing continues; pottery making continues. . .a new dress may be in the offing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A flurry

Narrow serving plate, 12" We're in the last few weeks of prepping for John's retirement. It's a very exciting time, but suc...