Thursday, August 20, 2020

Speaking of clay. . . .

Birdhouse 2. Bmix with grog, slab built

So. It's back to the clay after far too long away. This is the second slab built birdhouse that I've made. The first one was broken on the way to the kiln. That was a couple of months ago. It just broke my heart, but I think this one is better than the first, so I just needed to gird my loins and Do It.

 

 It looks pretty big right now at 12", but will shrink 13% in the series of firings that it needs to withstand. It's going through a very slow drying under plastic, in hopes that all of those joints and different moisture level bits of clay will come to equilibrium and decide to stick together. Sort of like us in the pandemic.

I'm really happy with the details. The house part is mounted on the base on a flange so I can take it off to clean it out when the birds leave for the winter. Each side is textured differently, and I have vent holes in the top of each side so that it shouldn't get too hot for the little guys. I'll need to figure out a platform (probably wood) that I'll mount to the top of the pole where the old one currently resides.

Glazing will be a challenge (I don't think I've told you how much I hate glazing), but I have time to think about that. It will probably take a week to dry, and then there will be the bisque firing.

While I was at it, I watched my friend J's YouTube on plate making, and tried, once again, to throw a plate. It's funny to me that a plate is supposed to be one of the easiest things to throw, and yet I have tried and failed many time, while other forms are easier for me.

Made it to First Base. . .Plate, I mean
 I also don't love throwing BMix. Most folks find it easy, but for me, porcelain is a much easier clay to throw. That will be my next plate. Cracking may be more of an issue, though.

Meanwhile, in the garden, I picked a boatload of tomatoes. . cherry and big. . .today. What a bonus. All of the triple-digit weather has consequences! I may have to can the bigger guys once they get to full-ripe. We also had an eggplant, and I'm really going to compost the remaining zucchini plants. They are taking over the whole garden, and are not making babies. So really. They're prickly, and no longer reproducing. Like me! Done and done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A flurry

Narrow serving plate, 12" We're in the last few weeks of prepping for John's retirement. It's a very exciting time, but suc...