Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Who is that girl?

 

Allium schubertii, Garden Diva

Who is that crazy girl in my yard? Ok. This isn't the actual plant in my yard. But I do have This species of plant. . . only one. . .and the seedhead was just crazy full of plump black seeds. 

Here's something you may not know about the subspecies Homo sapiens horticulturus. We never get over mulch and collecting seeds. Even though I haven't practiced as a professional for almost 20 years, those two things remain impossible to resist.

Anyway. After I collected the dried seeds, I decided to try to figure out who she is. The internet. What a thing. She is Allium schubertii, commonly called the Tumbleweed Allium. We have the more common Allium varieties in white and purple all over the yard. They clearly self-seed, but this girl is a one-off. 

 So I'll plant more, right? Next spring. Her seeds need to be chilled, and then stratified, and then, 8 weeks before planting, planted and tended to with diligence. Possibly with ardor. The other thing that a plantsman never seems to get over is the optimism of planting. The belief that the world (and your yard) will still be here to support whatever plants you want to give a chance in this life. I found an English Walnut seedling in our yard, and I have it potted and closely watched. I'll plant it somewhere, even though it won't fruit for at least 10 years. It's a piece of optimism in myself that surprises me, as a morose old woman. That thing called Hope. It's a killer, because it's evil twin, Disappointment, is often close behind. But it remains irresistible. . .at least horticulturally.


Seedhead, Allium schubertii
 

unaccredited drawing

No comments:

Post a Comment

A flurry

Narrow serving plate, 12" We're in the last few weeks of prepping for John's retirement. It's a very exciting time, but suc...