Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Why we summer


Well. I've waxed philosophical about my love of edibles in the landscape, but haven't offered a lot in the way of images. This was today's harvest. I bring this much in every 2-3 days. Canning tomatoes and making sauce is in the coming week's plan. 

I'm hoping that the beans will be coming on in greater numbers soon, because there is nothing that compares to the flavor of Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans. Except maybe HomeGrown Tomatoes? As Guy Clark so famously sang, Ain't Nothin' in the world that Money can't buy except True Love and Homegrown tomatoes.Even though this was recorded in our time, it took T, a friend of ours, to alert me to it. No truer words. .  .

 

And in my new daftness, I had completely forgotten that pole beans are tough to grow on Teepee poles, which is what I have in my garden right now. A father-in-law of mine had put an old bed spring in his garden, facing at an angle to the sun. He planted the beans along the front of it, and let them grow up the lattice of the bed springs. Very use-what-you-have.  It works well for pumpkins and vine growing squash as well. It turns out that old bed springs are pretty hard to come by these days, so I had made a simple frame out of 2 x 2's, strung it with strings every 4-6", and that worked terrifically too. That way the vines grow up the frame, but the beans hang to the back of it, so you can slip under and harvest them as they size.

I forgot to post this. Oh well. So I'll close with a shot of the sunset tonight. The colors on the photo aren't true to the human eye. . .the sun appears to be red to us, but white to the camera. I'm sure someone can explain this to me, but it's beautiful in it's way, in spite of being a figment of the smoke filled haze.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A flurry

Narrow serving plate, 12" We're in the last few weeks of prepping for John's retirement. It's a very exciting time, but suc...