Saturday, March 6, 2021

Pottery stuff

 

Two mugs, inside
I know that some potters love the surprises that opening a glaze fired kiln provides. Personally, I usually tremble. After 5 years of doing this, I'm still surprised, and often dismayed at the results of that "final" firing. These two mugs came out fairly well. They don't embarrass me. They're a nice size, which is never a given for me. And the shape and glaze is pleasing. If I took more copious notes (and could find them, AND would read them), I'd probably be further along with all of this.
Two mugs, side view
The side view is to the right. They look more squat in this image than they really are. The glare in the photos are a bit of a problem. I know what I need, but haven't gotten around to getting the photo booth yet. I'm also no longer a professional, so I'm not losing sleep over it. 

A not embarrassing bowl
Other good news from the kiln was this little bowl. 6" in diameter. The glaze has an organic feel to it that I really like. Emeraude and Ancient Jasper applied with a brush as a lip ring does this erratic dripping thing that I just love. It looks a little metallic, too.
"Meh" dipping bowls

It goes downhill from here. These are little hand-built porcelain bowls for holding soy sauce or your choice of dipping stuff. I really like the texture on the outside, but the inside. . .the part one sees. . .is really meh. I thought the stark flat white (Klaus Hard White) would be pristine looking, but it really just isn't interesting. I could try putting the texture on the inside, but really, I think I'll throw the little bowls and be done with it. Hmm. But I really like texture, which is tough on thrown pieces. I'll think some more.

Sweet porcelain bowl worth rescuing?

Also in the "Well, Darn" category was this thrown porcelain bowl. The inside was glazed with Black Satin, and it pitted terribly. The scratches are actually from my diamond grinding tool (thank goodness for metalsmithing tools and expertise). The glaze was initially bubbled, but when I ground it, the bubbles came off and I was left with pits and scratches. I touched every pit with more glaze on a tiny brush. I'll re-fire, and report back. So much for the final firing.

Porcelain bowls, pitting issue
It's often better to just start over when you screw up. I had to learn this repeatedly with enameling and metalsmithing. But I really like this little bowl. Maybe I can save her. Nothing beats a failure like a try. Sometimes.

Lucky Peak in March
 

Jasper. No pictures, Mom. . .
In closing, Jasper and I had a wonderful hike at Lucky Peak the other day. 35-40F. Snow capped mountains.And while Jasper has repeatedly told me that he doesn't really like having his picture taken (I have the same dislike), I can't resist trying to get a good image of him. This one isn't as lovely as he is, but it reminds me of what a great companion he is. And one of these days I'm going to get an image that shows his beautiful everything.



No comments:

Post a Comment

A flurry

Narrow serving plate, 12" We're in the last few weeks of prepping for John's retirement. It's a very exciting time, but suc...