Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Thing 1 and Thing 2

 

Here is a new water dish for Jasper. It's pretty ok from this vantage. It's 7 inches in diameter, which is a little smaller than I'd like. This was it's third firing because it developed an S-crack in the bottom after the glaze firing. Typically, that means I didn't compress it enough on the bottom while throwing. Rookie mistake.

I hate wasting things, though as I said in the previous post, I have long ago learned that it's often better and easier to just throw it away and start over. Still. I couldn't quite bring myself to toss it. Yet.

To the right is the inside of this bowl. You can't quite see the remains of the s-crack in the bottom, but it's still there. It will hold water, so I'll put it to use, but I also plan on throwing a new one, with an emphasis on compressing the bottom. Fail. Learn. Fail. Learn. Forget. Fail. Learn. The circle of [my] life.



The other piece I re-fired was this little porcelain bowl. The bubbles are less prominent, but still there. I may put it into my next glaze firing just to see if I can eventually eliminate them. Some glazes start to bubble from within when fired too often, so we'll see about these. It's actually a usable bowl as is. I really like the size. . . a 5" diameter, and this shape a new one for me.

I'll finish up with an image of these snowdrops from my yard. They started blooming in mid-January and are just now starting to look like they're ready to move on. They'll completely disappear by June. Talk about buried treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A flurry

Narrow serving plate, 12" We're in the last few weeks of prepping for John's retirement. It's a very exciting time, but suc...